I'm a Camp I'm a Parent

Allen Beavers Professional Development Scholarship

Allen Beavers was a leader a leader and pioneer in the camping industry.  Allen founded numerous scholarship programs in the United States and received countless awards.  He co-authored the Connecticut Camp Youth Safety Act; he was a “life member” of the Connecticut Camping Association and the American Camp Association, completeing 76 ACA Accreditation visits in 43 years.

Allen was one of the founding members of the CCA and remained a board member from 1965 until his passing in 2012.  His guidance, fiscal leadership, and dedication to summer camps set the ground work for our organization, so that we can be proud of who we are and what we provide to our camper families and members.  Allen made each of us feel important and valued.

The Allen Beavers Memorial Professional Development Scholarship is a continuation of his dedication to the camping experiencein perpetuity.  The song “All My Life’s A Circle” was a favorite of Allens’s, and appropriate to mention, for it truly captures the esence of Allen and his dedication and conviction to the camping experience.


The Scholarship was created to honor Allen, who whole-hardheartedly dedicated himself to the camping community through his involvement in numerous organizations and committees, whose focus was the betterment of the youth outdoor camping experience.

Scholarships will only cover up to 80% of a CCA or ACA event/training/education (not to exceed $250), with the remaining 20% to come from alternative funding. Other non-CCA or non-ACA programs will be funded up to 50% of the fee for event/training/education (not to exceed $150). Each year between January 1st and December 31st a maximum of $1,500 is awarded in scholarship money. (amount reviewed annually).

Money will be awarded as a reimbursement after the completion of a conference or seminar (proof of attendance and receipt required).  This scholarship is designed specifically for professionals in the Summer Camp field, to help them pursue professional development.

There is no deadline as the awards are given on a first come first serve basis throughout the year until the funds are used for each year.

Click Here for application and more information.

Applications can be sent to:

Winding Trails Inc.
Allen Beavers Scholarship
50 Winding Trails Drive
Farmington, CT 06032